Newtown, CT is my town.
I don’t live there. I’ve never been there. I will never go there but…
I have children. I have a grandson. I have a son who is a teacher. I have many friends who are teachers.
My heart broke for Newtown as it did for the following shootings in 2012:
- December 11, 2012. On Tuesday, 22-year-old Jacob Tyler Roberts killed 2 people and himself with a stolen rifle in Clackamas Town Center, Oregon. His motive is unknown.
- September 27, 2012. Five were shot to death by 36-year-old Andrew Engeldinger at Accent Signage Systems in Minneapolis, MN. Three others were wounded. Engeldinger went on a rampage after losing his job, ultimately killing himself.
- August 5, 2012. Six Sikh temple members were killed when 40-year-old US Army veteran Wade Michael Page opened fire in Oak Creek, Wisconsin. Four others were injured, and Page killed himself.
- July 20, 2012. During the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, CO, 24-year-old James Holmes killed 12 people and wounded 58. Holmes was arrested outside the theater.
- May 29, 2012. Ian Stawicki opened fire on Cafe Racer Espresso in Seattle, WA, killing 5 and himself after a citywide manhunt.
- April 6, 2012. Jake England, 19, and Alvin Watts, 32, shot 5 black men in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in racially motivated shooting spree. Three died.
- April 2, 2012. A former student, 43-year-old One L. Goh killed 7 people at Oikos University, a Korean Christian college in Oakland, CA. The shooting was the sixth-deadliest school massacre in the US and the deadliest attack on a school since the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre.
- February 27, 2012. Three students were killed by Thomas “TJ” Lane, another student, in a rampage at Chardon High School in Chardon, OH. Three others were injured.
This information was found at A Timeline Of Mass Shootings In The US Since Columbine.
These senseless killings destroy futures, create nightmares, remove security, and leave a lifelong legacy of sadness. Now that the tears have dried up … I want to know what I can do to make it stop. To prevent the next spree.
I want to help make a difference.
- The Gift of Love During a Time of Sadness (margekatherine.com)
- A Timeline Of Mass Shootings In The US Since Columbine (thinkprogress.org)
- Newton, CT (tigersdancing.com)
- Jury to hear Chardon High School shooting suspect’s comments (ohio.com)
- Newtown, CT (dadmen.net)
- I am the problem (ccwow.wordpress.com)
- Chart: Six of the deadliest mass shootings have happened since 2007 (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- GRASP: Statement from Michael John Carley on the Newtown, CT Shootings (leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk)
- President Obama Challenges Us To Protect ALL Of Our Children In Remarks At Newtown, CT (bell-book-candle.com)
- On social media: Local reaction to Conn. school shooting (kansascity.com)