About a year ago I came across a book called The Power of Kindness By Piero Ferrucci. It was a sweet book filled with words that captured my heart. After reading, I wrote down the following paragraph. OK, so who writes down a whole paragraph? The words spoke to me and me alone. I think I needed to know that what I do, what I love to do, is my talent.
The faculty of contact is a true talent – like musical, literary or athletic talent. Some people are talented jugglers or mathematicians. Some are talented in making contact with each other…Knowing the right way to engage, a comment that breaks the ice, body language that expresses openness and spontaneity, a look that, without invading, touches you deeply.
It took me a long time to realize that what comes so easily to me are my talents. The ability to ‘work the room’, meet new people, speak in public, lead an effort, write a blog, design a newsletter, and put others at ease … is where I shine.
Since the art of contact, communication and interaction come so naturally I used to think 1) anybody can do this, 2) it’s no big deal 3) it’s not really a talent. Since I didn’t play an instrument, win awards, create a sculpture, win an Oscar, or design a building, I figured I was hopeless.
But here I am … talented beyond measure. I read, write, learn, share, teach, train, engage, inspire, include, and blog. I’ve come out of the closet and shared a little bit more about me. Here I am, stepping out of my zone, strutting my stuff and smiling the whole time.
‘What now,’ she wonders…
- NoCZ-12 Week 3 Update (margekatherine.com)
- I did it again! (crowingcrone.wordpress.com)
- Day 52 – Desperately Seeking John Hughes (breakingtherubberband.wordpress.com)
- Small stones and comfort zones (quillfyre.wordpress.com)
- Things are happening here… NoCZ – 12 (margekatherine.com)
- We are who we choose to be: NoCZ-2012 (margekatherine.com)
- Standing in the Sunshine: NoCZ-2012 (margekatherine.com)