Sometimes the idea comes over time and sometimes it comes in a flash. Last night it came in a flash. I was entering a building where I had a monthly board meeting. This was one of my “sure, I’ll apply for the open position on the board.” And I was accepted. The flash was I was stepping down. I can accomplish more on a subcommittee.
This is not the right fit for me. I don’t know (or care) about which category turkeys are in (they need a different category for the larger (40+ lbs.). The Royalty were crowned, someone stepped down (she took my idea) but before she did she handed over a 6 page document (explained in detail) of everything she did and suggestions on how to make it bigger, better and more attractive to the unsuspecting public. This hard-working committee of 18 (Yes, 18) is a great group of people and have a vested interest in the outcome of the yearly event. I have a small part that does not include lambs, turkeys, goats, weaving, painting, blueberry muffins or the price of beef. My focus is getting a FiddleFest up and running. See where I’m coming from?
Ok, back to me. I can assist this board but not by being bored. I can work on a subcommittee – get my part done (I’ll keep you posted on this as I ramp it up) and avoid meetings that make me cringe.
- Discomfort – admitting I shouldn’t be on this board.
- Discomfort- having to call the President and let him know he’s losing a board member but gaining a great worker bee.
- Discomfort – realizing that saying ‘yes’ isn’t always good.
Growth – knowing I’m doing what’s best for me.
Stretching – wondering where else I need to assert myself and say ‘No’.
It’s about honoring me, my time commitments and my desires. Simple, right?
Words of wisdom are welcome!
- NoCZ-2012 week two (crowingcrone.wordpress.com)
- NoCZ-2012 (starbear.wordpress.com)
- Freedom: NoCZ-2012 (ceceliafutch.wordpress.com)
- From Comfort to Grace (jackielrobinson.com)