I adore books. I love the stories within and the travels they take me on. I appreciate authors. They write and hand off the story to a willing audience. I receive and am delivered to another place and time.
- The Sweet Potato Queens by Jill Conner Browne
- The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman
- Room by Emma Donoghue
- Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky
- Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
- The 6th Man by David Balduci
- One Amazing Thing by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
- The Unlikely Disciple: A sinner’s semester at America’s holiest university by Kevin Roose
Ok, in actuality, I listened to most of them on cd while I drove to work, cleaned my house, took walks or worked out. I was handed The Unlikely Disciple in paperback format and it took forever to read. I don’t have time to sit still.
But while I’m in motion – oh my, let me have my way with them.
In a recent blog post titled “Audio books are not cheating” the author contents that by the time she has the freedom to relax and read, it’s the end of the day and she’s exhausted. I agree.
What I most love about audio books is that I can’t cheat. If I’m reading a book and the author expounds on the drapery, gets too deep into philosophy or the scene is too creepy, I usually skim the page and get to a new section with more dialogue and less description.
When listening to an audio book, I never fast forward because I could miss something important and regret it and then have to backtrack. I’ve found that I remember an audio book with a clarity and awareness that I don’t have with a book. I welcome stop signs, red lights and going slow so I can hear just one more chapter or tale.
When I check out audio books from the library, I often check out 4-5 books just in case I don’t like the 1) bo0k, 2) reader’s voice 3) the cds have scratches and tend to skip and 4) in case I’ve already heard it before.
So, that’s my story – and I’m sticking to it!
- Audio books are not cheating (nhwn.wordpress.com)
- One Amazing Thing (mkmercurio.wordpress.com)
- 2011 National Book Award Winners on Audio (rbk12blog.com)
- Audio Books: Good or Bad? (italianenglishblog.wordpress.com)
- A Voice from the Grave by best selling author Yvonne Mason now in audio book (tcpalm.com)
- Advice: Non-Fiction Audio Books (bonjourcass.com)