It’s me again. I want to talk a bit more about the No Comfort Zone-2012 Challenge. I think it’s gonna be great and it’s not just because I thought of it.
What I adore about this challenge is that when I do something different – my brain cells start popping (that’s a scientific term, I’m sure of it!), growing and exercising and because of this different activity, my brain gets stronger. Just like with your fitness routine, you’ve got to shake things up. Let’s do that!
The ‘use it or lose it’ theory is put into play in my challenge. In a longitudinal study, called the MacArthur Study healthy people were tracked from middle age into their 80′s and measured any changes in their physical and mental function as well as their lifestyles: what they ate, how much they exercised, and their leisure and social activities. There were 3 distinct areas that made a difference over time.
- They were more consistently physically active than the others. They took daily walks and other forms of exercise, for example.
- They remained mentally active. These are the people who, rather than parking in front of the TV, did the crossword puzzle every morning, browsed the library shelves regularly for new and interesting books, dabbled in hobbies and crafts, or played bridge three times per week.
- They had a personality quality some have termed “self-efficacy.” They met challenges with the confidence and desire to solve them, rather than being ground under the wheels of misfortune. (Found in Memory Loss and the Brain)
In other words, they tried new things on a regular basis and they the world became their oyster. Just like the No Comfort Zone-2011 Challenge invites you to get out of your comfort zone and make some noise, dance the jig, meet new people, write sizzling blogs (and link back so I can read them!)
Perhaps at the end of the challenge I have a prize for you? Maybe you can help me think of something?! Let me know …
Time is ticking!
- Brain training exercises more effective at improving cognitive function than crossword puzzles, study says (medicalxpress.com)
- PuzzleSocial Launches Crosswords for Facebook With Licensed Puzzled from the Top 50 Constructors (insidesocialgames.com)
- Want a Healthy Brain For Life? (brain-masters.com)
- No Comfort Zone: Weekly Challenge 2012 (mkmercurio.wordpress.com)